Monday, November 7, 2011

Ettiket

Kristina Taylor















How did you transition into jewelry design?

"I majored in Fashion Design and Merchandising at Wayne State University, but it was my attending the Fashion Institute of Technology that sparked my interest in becoming a designer. After graduation, I moved to New York City and experienced short stints at J. Crew, Anna Sui, and Showroom Seven before landing my “dream job” at Ralph Lauren; where I worked on the design, development, and launch of American Living, a brand developed exclusively for [the American department store] JCPenney in 2008. Initially, I made jewelry for my twin sister, friends, and myself as a hobby. After handling press for designers, attending fashion shows, and working with magazine editors, however, I was inspired to further explore my talents as a designer.

" How would you describe the look and feel of Ettiket?

"I enjoy designing clothes and accessories that tell a story and make women feel good. I featured exotic and tribal influences throughout this collection, allowing women to embrace their boho-chic style. And the necklaces, earrings, bracelets, and turbans all boast batik, ikat, and exoticprints intermingled with vibrant colors and textures." Are there any designers you admire whose careers you wouldn’t mind emulating? "I admire designers [like] Anna Sui and Tracy Reese, both Detroit natives who have an international presence in the industry. Their stories are extremely inspiring and have motivated me to pursue my dreams."

Do you design your jewelry with specific kinds of women in mind?

"Imagine a sophisticated globetrotter gathering trinkets from her travels to Africa, Asia, Europe, and South America, layering her arm and neck with bangles, cuffs, and necklaces made of natural stones, bone and rich fabrics with texture and prints. These pieces are very special to her and tell a story. This is the feeling that I want my pieces to evoke, something special."

(Vogue.it)

No comments:

Post a Comment